Saturday, June 27, 2009

Sophie! Welcome HOME!!!

This is to YOU, who we've missed sooooooo much. I am elated that you are now HOME. Your home, the one that you have cherished and nurtured and maintained for so many years, missed you. Probably not nearly as much as you missed it! And I've had the privilege of helping get it into the kind of shape that we all know you would have done had you been able. I hope that it brings you peace and relief. There is a Welsh word, hiraeth - that defies direct translation, but roughly, means, the longing for home. The Welsh were known to die from hiraeth--literally of broken hearts if they could not return to their own soil and breathe the air that was more than in their bodies, but in their souls.

I know that longing. When I heard that you were coming home finally, I felt my heart sing for you--(can you tell that I'm Welsh?!)

I want for you to know that everyone has been working really hard to prepare for this day and to make it as close to what you would have done as is possible!! You are a very hard person to replace! It's taken a virtual army!

But most of all , I want you to know that Ben, has done the most of all. During a time when he could have fallen apart, he stood up straighter, pulled back his shoulders and knuckled down to learn all the things he didn't have to know before because you took care of them! He has been the model of graciousness and kindness at a time when he was so worried about you. You two are my icons of what marriage is all about and I have come to love you both as I love my own family.

So, welcome home! Welcome Home! WELCOME HOME!!!

Steph

1 comment:

  1. Sophie welcome home and Ben - you must be so happy to have your wife back home with you. My husband had a stroke January 2008 ... he was 44 years old, things have changed so much from those first weeks in rehab to his transition home to all of the research to find the best therapy options. Persevere, believe and celebrate all of the small victories. I started a webpage on caring bridge for my husband, DerrickWong, if you are interested in reading it ... you are also welcome to contact me - if you ever want to talk or get information about how any of the therapy worked for Derrick.

    ReplyDelete